Random musings of a grammar nerd

Saturday, September 24, 2005

"Dear Diary...

"Today I was pompous and my sister was crazy. Today we were kidnapped by hillfolk, never to be seen again. It was the best day ever!"

So goes my favorite quote from the Joss Whedon series "Firefly." It's got lots of suspense and drama and mystery, but also lots of fun throw-away lines like this one. I watched a couple of episodes when it originally aired, but then Fox cancelled it unwisely and unceremoniously, and I lost track of it until this summer, when my boyfriend insisted that I spend some of my post-thesis free time watching the DVDs. I think it's a fantastic series, and I'm so excited for the new Firefly movie, "Serenity," which comes out next Friday, September 30.

But... I get to see it on Tuesday at a special blogger screening! Yay! I am trying to stay as spoiler-free as possible, but I do have this background blurb to pass on:

"Joss Whedon, the Oscar® - and Emmy - nominated writer/director responsible for the worldwide television phenomena of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE, ANGEL and FIREFLY, now applies his trademark compassion and wit to a small band of galactic outcasts 500 years in the future in his feature film directorial debut, Serenity. The film centers around Captain Malcolm Reynolds, a hardened veteran (on the losing side) of a galactic civil war, who now ekes out a living pulling off small crimes and transport-for-hire aboard his ship, Serenity. He leads a small, eclectic crew who are the closest thing he has left to family –squabbling, insubordinate and undyingly loyal."

Haven't seen the series yet? Get thee to the nearest Blockbuster and rent them. I'm told that you should still be able to follow the movie even without seeing the DVDs. But see the movie, and you'll want to go back and see the episodes on DVD. And then go back and see the movie again. And bring friends! And enemies! And random people off the street! And grandma!

I'll work on a cliff notes version of the main characters & post that soon. Until then, check out the movie site, which includes links to other "Firefly" sites.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home